The Nintendo Domain

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

zmanrwks

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:55 am

zmanrwks
With the Wii entering it's 5th year, the Wii's successor (which I will call "Wii 2" for now) is coming soon. As such, lets go over some of the facts:

-A Nintendo Console usually lasts 5 years before the successor is released. As shown in this timeline:
Wii Successor: Project Cafe! Everything-we-know-about-wii-2-20101208003120426

-The system was hinted at as early as July 28th. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said:
"We are always preparing for the next hardware. We are under development."

-More recently, Iwata said this:
"We are of course studying and developing the next console to Wii. However, there is a big difference between studying a product and announcing what it is and when we will release it."

Does this mean Wii 2 will be announced at E3 2011 or any time this year? No. Does it mean there will be a successor? Most likely.

Make predictions and discuss the Wii's successor.

Credit goes to IGN

Last edited by zmanrwks on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:08 am; edited 3 times in total

MarioWorldHacker

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:52 am

MarioWorldHacker
Anouki
Anouki
Nintendo has always been known to be revolutionary, I can't even imagine what they have in store for us, I can only speculate that it'll improve everything that the Wii failed to do.

Also, wasn't the Famicon released in 1983 in Japan, later released in the U.S as the NES in 1985?

Pikmintendo

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 am

Pikmintendo
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
I can see the wii sticking around for a while. Nintendo is only just starting to explore the possibilites of wiimotion plus

https://www.youtube.com/user/pikmintendo
Linkodude43

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am

Linkodude43
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
dont you dare talk about it, succsesing the wii will never happen! (I just dont want to pay more money Razz)

https://www.youtube.com/user/linkodude43
Kaz

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Kaz
Administrator
Administrator
I think it may come like in 2012 No
Since we already have a new DS succeeder, and since it will not cum in 2011, 2012 is most likely

roshipower

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:16 pm

roshipower
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
they should call it the DOLPHIN

https://www.youtube.com/roshipower
zmanrwks

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:11 am

zmanrwks
Mr. GayManWatch wrote:I think it may come like in 2012 No
Since we already have a new DS succeeder, and since it will not cum in 2011, 2012 is most likely
I could see what you are saying. They would probably focus more on the 3DS this year. And seeing as PS3 and 360 will last a good while as well (2 years at least I'm guessing) it would make sense Nintendo will drag out the Wii a bit as well.

Skochko

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:27 am

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
Well, there are very little chances for it to come out this year. Why?
1. 3DS. Nintendo is going towards the budget market. They tried going more expensive with N64 and GameCube and we all know how those turned out to sell. People will spend their money on 3DS and THEN they will most likely announce the 8th generation home console.
2. Rivals. There is no need to hurry, as nobody is doing so. Microsoft and Sony are focusing on motion controls, for all we know, thus they are upgrading their consoles. Why would you spend 200$ for Kinect, then buy a new Microsoft console a few months later?

zmanrwks

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:56 pm

zmanrwks
Yes, it is legal to post here. I don't feel like making a new topic, cuz lazy.

So, I found this out. At the same press conference where Nintendo announced OoT 3D release and Wii Play Motion, Nintendo had mentioned something called "Project Butterfly". Quote by NGamer:

At GDC, we heard reference to Nintendo's "Project Butterfly", the intended succesor to the Wii. No specs were given, though the hardware is designed to be physically upgraded over time. As it was explained to us, by plugging in new parts it 'becomes' a new machine. It will be marketed as the antidote to Apple's yearly redesigns. One machine, for life.

So apparently the supposed successor will receive add-ons, similar to the SEGA Genesis. I'm getting scared.

RandomConsomePanchi

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:59 pm

RandomConsomePanchi
Butterfly means Yuyuko is involved...sounds interesting

Kaz

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Kaz
Administrator
Administrator
This new console is planned to be something that last for LIFE. Instead of buying a new console every year a new generation comes up, all you need to do is buy a new component and just upgrades it.
ign credit

5gSkyYoshi

Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:23 pm

5gSkyYoshi
Administrator
Administrator
Seems like a pretty interesting concept, though nothing lasts forever. It'll break down, but I suppose they intend to make it last long.

Skochko

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:06 am

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
You know, while it does sound good, it's just a new excuse for Nintendo to milk more money. However, I like the concept, as long as the standalone system is powerful enough to last a little. Besides, what if you buy a shitload of parts then your system dies? Are you buying them all over again or just
one console that already has them inside? We'll wait for more info I guess.

Sounds like The Sims to me. A decent standalone game with a shitload of Expansion Packs and the result is a great game...

zmanrwks

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:20 am

zmanrwks
The only reason I have doubts about a console for life is the continuous add-ons and attachments. The Genesis did this to try and extend it's life, the SEGA CD and SEGA 32x, and both were both awful.

Skochko

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:28 am

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
Remember N64 and it's attachment for disks? Fail'd. This may not fail though. We are constantly upgrading computers...

But that is exactly why I like consoles. No need to spend the money on upgrades...

zmanrwks

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:35 am

zmanrwks
Well, IGN just had an article about this. It's short, so I'll post the entire thing here.

IGN wrote:Multiple sources have confirmed to Game Informer that Nintendo will reveal a new console between now and E3 2011 in June.

Game Informer's sources say the console is capable of running games at "HD resolutions," though it is unclear whether not it will be as powerful as Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Our sources have said the console's power will be greater than or equal to the PlayStation 3. Nintendo is reportedly showing the console to publishers to garner interest for a late 2012 launch.

Sources tell IGN that Nintendo will release a pre-announcement this month with a full reveal expected at E3. Sources say the console will be backwards compatible with current Wii software.

Kaz

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Kaz
Administrator
Administrator
So motion controls will still be in still, since it's backwards compatible. Also, form an antonymous source, “Nintendo is doing this one right" could mean it's not as gimmicky.

Skochko

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
What may be bad for them is that Sony and Microsoft have already entered the world of motion gaming, while Nintendo is still far from HD. Also, in their next consoles, Sony and Microsoft may add even better graphics, which would put Nintendo in the back seat again...

zmanrwks

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:44 am

zmanrwks
Well, if Nintendo is to succeed, they must be one step ahead. If they make it equal to the current gen, they'll be outclassed when their successors come out.

zmanrwks

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:17 am

zmanrwks
Pardon my double post.

Well, more info on the Wii successor was revealed. The system is codenamed "Project Cafe". Yea, I dunno.

They said the controller will have dual analog sticks, as well as a standard D-pad and trigger buttons. A French website says that the touch capable screen is 6 inches in size.
Yes, I just said that.

Link to Article (IGN)

Skochko

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:26 am

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
What touch screen? :O

Kaz

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Kaz
Administrator
Administrator
Holy crap, well i am ready to see this now, im interested.

Pikmintendo

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Pikmintendo
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
This...could....be interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/user/pikmintendo
Skochko

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
We are forgetting something though... This is Nintendo. It has to be cutting edge. The only console that was not cutting edge was GameCube, but now they have a lot more money and better technology to use.

This just can't be mediocre.

roshipower

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:20 am

roshipower
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
as long as nintendo doesnt keeps in mind the advancements in technology, they can rule gameplay and graphics

https://www.youtube.com/roshipower
Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum