The Nintendo Domain

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CartoonLink

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:09 pm

CartoonLink
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
I'm here to review Banjo Kazooie, and there will be more criticisms than in previous reviews, so enjoy.

Banjo wakes up, he runs outside, Gruntilda captures his sister to steal
her beauty, and the chase is on. It's really not that interesting, in
fact, it could have been performed a lot better than how it was.

Everyone said Banjo Kazooie was one of the best platformers or even
games on the Nintendo 64, well, I highly disagree. First off, the
controls are very slippery, and trying to get Banjo to do what you
desire doesn't work most of the time. The camera is also atrocious, it
doesn't follow where you go, and it certainly does not work the way you
need it too even when you're controlling it. Should I mention the
swimming? I've played plenty of games with bad swimming, but this has
got to be the worst swimming in any video game I've ever played, and the
camera doesn't help it either. Bad controls and a broken camera do not
do the gameplay any favors.

There were a couple of cool themes in this game, but they are easily
forgettable, and there are several ones that kill your eardrums which
really doesn't make me want to play anymore than I already did.

It's not that long of a game... The puzzle pieces and collecting all of
the notes, I could barely stand doing the first five levels. It can take
you maybe 15-20 hours but that's just a guess, and is probably way off.

Replaying games is a big factor when it comes to playing games I think.
But this game is a game I cannot replay, it's boring to say the least,
and very frustrating at times (NOT the difficulty, but because the game
doesn't do what you want it to do).

Overall, this was a very disappointing game. My friend from Norway
ordered me a copy online and sent it to me, and I was highly
anticipating this game which he said was seriously amazing. Platformers
with bad controls, a broken camera, terrible swimming, and frustrating
level design do NOT even come close to one of the best platform games
ever.

Story: 5.7
Gameplay: 4.7
Music: 6.0
Lifetime: 6.9
Replay Value: 2.4
Overall: 6.0 "DISAPPOINTING"

MarioWorldHacker

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:49 pm

MarioWorldHacker
Anouki
Anouki
If this is a serious review, then heed to what I have to say, otherwise...ignore what I'll be saying.

The story in the game isn't meant to be something complex, but it plays a bigger role in another factor. This would be the build-up with the relationship between the player and the antagonist herself, Gruntilda. Because she had kidnapped Banjo's sister, this gave you a reason to start giving attention her. Not only this, but as you climbed her tower, she would often mock you. This will make you despise her; you'll want to settle things personally, to put it bluntly. This makes her into a memorable character. And in the end, you learn that you had some affection towards this bloody witch because of how genius the character development is with her.

Personally, I never had any issues with the controls, I mean how could you? Unless your controller is faulty, every button input responded smoothly and immediately. Learning how to even control Banjo becomes natural as you play through the game. I'll have to somewhat agree with you with the swimming mechanics; they weren't all that great (even though they are improved in its sequel). Regardless, the swimming controls were still responsive; they just needed some time getting used to. Then again, underwater sections aren't that abundant in the game.

The themes in the game just happened to be memorable for me, in fact, I can pretty much hum every single track from the game. This is because every track differentiates from one and the other, adding more variety. It never really sounds bland.

This is what bothered me the most. You're way off when it comes to the 100% completion hours, especially for a first playthrough. The game itself can be challenging if you're going to aim for this. Even if you don't, you should still get some enjoyment from the game. Compared to other platformers, this game isn't short at all.

Banjo-Kazooie...boring...frustrating. Just why. This game's re-playability might not be huge, but if it's a game that one can easily pick up and play, that still counts as good re-playability.

I have to say that you view minor issues way too deeply, which can really ruin a game's immersion for you. Sure, this game isn't perfect, but at least giving it another go wouldn't hurt.

CartoonLink

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:54 pm

CartoonLink
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
MarioWorldHacker wrote:If this is a serious review, then heed to what I have to say, otherwise...ignore what I'll be saying.

The story in the game isn't meant to be something complex, but it plays a bigger role in another factor. This would be the build-up with the relationship between the player and the antagonist herself, Gruntilda. Because she had kidnapped Banjo's sister, this gave you a reason to start giving attention her. Not only this, but as you climbed her tower, she would often mock you. This will make you despise her; you'll want to settle things personally, to put it bluntly. This makes her into a memorable character. And in the end, you learn that you had some affection towards this bloody witch because of how genius the character development is with her.

Personally, I never had any issues with the controls, I mean how could you? Unless your controller is faulty, every button input responded smoothly and immediately. Learning how to even control Banjo becomes natural as you play through the game. I'll have to somewhat agree with you with the swimming mechanics; they weren't all that great (even though they are improved in its sequel). Regardless, the swimming controls were still responsive; they just needed some time getting used to. Then again, underwater sections aren't that abundant in the game.

The themes in the game just happened to be memorable for me, in fact, I can pretty much hum every single track from the game. This is because every track differentiates from one and the other, adding more variety. It never really sounds bland.

This is what bothered me the most. You're way off when it comes to the 100% completion hours, especially for a first playthrough. The game itself can be challenging if you're going to aim for this. Even if you don't, you should still get some enjoyment from the game. Compared to other platformers, this game isn't short at all.

Banjo-Kazooie...boring...frustrating. Just why. This game's re-playability might not be huge, but if it's a game that one can easily pick up and play, that still counts as good re-playability.

I have to say that you view minor issues way too deeply, which can really ruin a game's immersion for you. Sure, this game isn't perfect, but at least giving it another go wouldn't hurt.

I review your review.

There was no character development, and the ugly witch / bitch is ugly.

My controller is not faulty, your brain is faulty. The controls are bad, and you know it.

The music made me puke.

Oh right, I told you I was off. So 10 hours for completionists?

It was boring and very frustrating, no replay value.

They are not minor issues, they are severe issues that break the game and make it impossible to enjoy.

Smash

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Smash
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
I've never played the game. So I have no comment.

Pikmintendo

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:29 am

Pikmintendo
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
Smash wrote:I've never played the game. So I have no comment.
I hate when people post just to say they have no comment. If you have no comment, then try maybe NOT making a post about it?

https://www.youtube.com/user/pikmintendo
CartoonLink

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:30 am

CartoonLink
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
Smash aka Groudon777777 wrote:I've never played the game. So I have no comment.

Good, you don't want too.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum