Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
[edited version of the previous voting thread]

To create a contest that's perfectly fair, please:

A) Don't vote for yourself
B) Don't make duplicate accounts to vote for yourself
C) Give us a reason why you voted.

If your vote doesn't have an opinion, it will not be counted. To make sure all is fair we ask you to judge based on the colors, the render, the positioning of the characters (not the characters themselves such as "LUIGI ISN'T THERE, IT SUCKS"), the contrast, and everything else that makes a banner, a banner.

The winner gets to modify his banner, aka to fix the errors the others have requested/noticed, so if you are having trouble choosing between two banners, pick the one with more potential.

Now you have a better idea of what you can expect to see. The current banner is NOT mine anymore, so it is a contestant for itself.

Refrain from harsh criticism such as "it sucks dick, add more color contrast" because not everybody is as "good" as you. If you have criticism, SAY it, don't leave it open-ended.

Vote for a 1st and 2nd place.
1st place will gain 3 points
2nd place will gain 1 point

Contestants:

The current banner: There is no point in posting a screenshot of it. It's right up there, so compare it with the others.
Skochko's banner: https://2img.net/h/i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/MrGayManWatch/10zmkvb.png?t=1302136907
Zmanrwks' banner: https://2img.net/h/oi54.tinypic.com/2wh0ahh.jpg
Pikmintendo's banner: https://2img.net/h/oi56.tinypic.com/2hnnh2p.jpg
5gSkyYoshi's banner: https://2img.net/h/oi55.tinypic.com/2yudm6e.jpg

Current standings:
1. Skochko - 18 points
2. Pikmintendo - 13 points
3. 5gSkyYoshi - 9 points
4. Current banner - 4 points
5. Zmanrwks - 0 points

Last edited by Skochko on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 10 times in total

Skochko

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:09 am

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
I gave myself permission to double post, to keep the thread more organized. I'll post my opinions on all 4 other banners here.

The current banner
I was happy when I made that banner a few months ago. I really liked it until we put it up on the forum. Then I realized it doesn't fit the forum's theme at all, which should be an important factor when it comes to voting. The banner itself is good, but I want a new one, so this one won't get any points from me.

Zman's banner
The banner blends with the forum very nicely, but it has some flaws. For me, the background just doesn't go well with the 3DS and Mario. At first I disliked the font, but now I kinda like it. The cutouts are also well done, so that is an advantage over the others. The border is also very unusual and good looking. Still I kinda think it should be more complex than that. The background is a turnoff and he should have put something else (perhaps more characters) in it.

Pik's banner
This banner is probably the strongest of all, but it has evident mistakes. All characters are badly cut out so he should have done some more investment in that part, to mask it with some glow. The writing is also kinda hard to read, because nothing is separating it from the banner. I like the background though and the fat Kirby, so with just a little more work, it could have been amazing.

Sparky's banner
I like this one as well. Everything from Mario to Link is well done, but from Link's left, everything is kind of messed up. Snivy and the electrokoopa are not proportional. I like the background and the font though. It fits the forum's skin well. You can clearly see the glow you put around the koopa, Mario and Kirby, but you didn't do that with Snivy, the one who needed it the most (to hide the cutout mistakes). Overally, it is a decent banner that, like Pik's, could have been even better with some tiny modifications.

My votes go to:
1. Pik (3 points)
2. Sparky (1 point)

Ticky Ticky. ty

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:33 am

Ticky Ticky. ty
Mimiga
Mimiga
I vote for skoch , it's easily the best Very Happy (Pik is my 2nd)
The white border and the text color fits 100% with the forum, paper characters effect is pretty cool. When i first go to a forum the first thing i look at to tell if its good is the banner, and this is one of the banners that would give me a good impression of the forum whereas the others (sorry guiz) use pretty common effects.
The only thing i dont like is the floating G&w and kirby, imo if you put little platforms below those 2(platforms from that 1-1 SPM level) it would look even better

Pik's looks pretty ok, it just needs to be fixed. There's bits of white on the chars and the cyan is kinda bright (in the middle with 3DS it kinda hurts me eyes). The rest fits with tnd forum nicely.

My votes go to:
1. Skochko (3 points)
2. Pik (1 point)

(do we have to post the total scores as well?)

Skochko

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:40 am

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
Hmm, I'll think about it. I need to find those platforms, cut them out and place them, like I did with the rest of the background elements. I'll try to fix it if I win.

And no, you don't need to post the scores as well. Just what's your 1st and 2nd pick, in order.

5gSkyYoshi

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:38 am

5gSkyYoshi
Administrator
Administrator
My first vote goes to Pik. His amazed me when I saw it. Although some things can be fixed, it doesnt mean he wont if he does win. I like the overall BG of the banner. The text is also pretty cool.

Second vote goes to Mama. I like the cartoonish and sticker-like feeling this banner gives out. Also the overall BG is fitting for this theme.

So my votes are:
Pik (3 points)
Mama/Skochko (1 point)

Good Luck to you both.

Pikmintendo

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:43 am

Pikmintendo
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
Hmm... they all look pretty nice, but ima have to pick sparky's. it fits with the colors nice, and has a good variety of characters, and the background is pretty epic.

Second i pick skoch's. the stickers are a nice theme and the color scheme fits.

1. Sparky
2. Skochko

https://www.youtube.com/user/pikmintendo
zmanrwks

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:30 am

zmanrwks
Pik's banner fits surprisingly well on the forum and looks pretty good (although the text is a bit of an issue).

Second goes to the original banner. The others are still great, but I think it looks pretty good up there.

1) Pik
2) Original Banner

roshipower

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 pm

roshipower
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
1)skoch
2)Pik

i think those look best on the forum

https://www.youtube.com/roshipower
Kaz

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Kaz
Administrator
Administrator
I actually really liked Zman's, but instead mama will get the vote, second goes to Pik.

I like Mama's style, all equal, Pik has nice Theme, Zman had a great idea, and Sparky was cool, The old banner is still as good to be in 3rd place.

5gSkyYoshi

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:18 pm

5gSkyYoshi
Administrator
Administrator
I think the vote here is pretty one sided. I say we lock the thread and give the win to Pik and his impressive banner. Seems like it'd fit the forum well imo. Besides, being 3rd is good in my point of view. At least I had some form of fun. Razz

Linkodude43

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Linkodude43
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
1st is Skochko's because his IS THE ONLY ONE NOT FEATURING THE 3DS!!!!!!!

2nd is Sparkies because the 3DS isnt too interupting

https://www.youtube.com/user/linkodude43
Skochko

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
5gSkyYoshi wrote:I think the vote here is pretty one sided. I say we lock the thread and give the win to Pik and his impressive banner. Seems like it'd fit the forum well imo. Besides, being 3rd is good in my point of view. At least I had some form of fun. Razz

Current standings:
1. Skochko - 14 points
2. Pikmintendo - 12 points
3. 5gSkyYoshi - 6 point
4. Current banner - 1 points
5. Zmanrwks - 0 points

I don't understand, Sparky... Pik is currently in the second place. There are more members to vote, this competition is far from over. Even you can win. Leave the thread open.

RandomConsomePanchi

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:05 am

RandomConsomePanchi
Holy freak this is hard, but i shall go with:

1. Mama's banner. It all artistically fits and goes well. I would go deeper in critiques or whatever, but I don't have the time now. Sorry

2. Pik's, cuz it actually portrays how the 3DS is, the characters JUMP from the screen AT YOU.

Eh, not a great "review", but that's what I feel. Good job to everyone though

MarioWorldHacker

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 am

MarioWorldHacker
Anouki
Anouki
1st - Current Banner:

I still think this banner fits the theme quite nicely.

2nd - Skoch's:

I like the choices that he made, although I don't like the choice of font. Also, this banner has a cartoon feel to it, like the forum itself.

Skochko

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
Okay, as most of the members have voted, it is time to set the deadline. The competition will be open for 2 more days, just in case someone else wishes to vote.

Hydrocannon2727

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:20 am

Hydrocannon2727
Zoroark
Zoroark
I'm gonna go with Sky Yoshi's because, although he has only five characters. it is definitely flashy and almost screams "join us, we have a bad ass banner!"

Skochko

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:13 am

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
^ You need to vote for the second place as well Smile

Skochko

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
The banner contest is officially over. It was very intense and we've seen some turnarounds. Hydro's 1 point vote won't change the outcome.

Final standings:
1. Skochko - 18 (+1) points
2. Pikmintendo - 13 (+1) points
3. 5gSkyYoshi - 9 points
4. Current banner - 4 (+1) points
5. Zmanrwks - 0 (+1) points

That means my banner wins. However, Pik's banner was really good and if he wishes to fix the character cutout mistakes, I will be more than glad to put it up on the forum for a few days as well.

It's been a good contest. I can't wait for the next one.

zmanrwks

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 am

zmanrwks
I did very well!

roshipower

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:32 am

roshipower
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
victorious!i really liked skochs but great job to all other banners,including the last one and zedman's

https://www.youtube.com/roshipower
Kaz

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Kaz
Administrator
Administrator
There is never next year zman

5gSkyYoshi

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:16 pm

5gSkyYoshi
Administrator
Administrator