The Nintendo Domain

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

eric92

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:18 am

Yoshi Egg
Yoshi Egg
I am currently playing Pokemon Fire Red. I want to EV train my Pokemon but I don't completely understand EVs. I was reading about EVs on Seribii.net but it was confusing to me. Please correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand a Pokemon can have 510 EVs total. For every 4 EVs in one stat my Pokemon will get 1 extra stat next level. 510 divided by 4 = 127.5 So this means my Pokemon can gain 127 extra stat points total? correct? But so people cannot become overpowered they make a limit? 127 cannot go into one stat? Am I correct? So 63.75 is the most that I can add to any one stat? So in the end I will be able to add 63 extra stat points to 2 stats? Say I kill 255 catterpies and gain 63 points into HP, and I kill 255 gastlys and gain 63 points into Special Attack? Now are my EVs maxed out?

I read the EV guide on seribii.net and it was so confusing to me I don't understand how EV points work. Please tell me EXACTLY how many extra stat points I can add into one stat.

What I wrote above I don't know if it is correct.

zmanrwks

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:55 am

zmanrwks
What you wrote is correct.
One stat can have a max of 255 EVs, and you can only have a total of 510 EVs altogether. A good EV spread would be 252/252/4, giving you max points in 2 stats, and an extra point somewhere else.

TheBlueYoshi

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:53 am

TheBlueYoshi
Bulbear
Bulbear
eric92 wrote: I am currently playing Pokemon Fire Red. I want to EV train my Pokemon but I don't completely understand EVs. I was reading about EVs on Seribii.net but it was confusing to me. Please correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand a Pokemon can have 510 EVs total. For every 4 EVs in one stat my Pokemon will get 1 extra stat next level. 510 divided by 4 = 127.5 So this means my Pokemon can gain 127 extra stat points total? correct? But so people cannot become overpowered they make a limit? 127 cannot go into one stat? Am I correct? So 63.75 is the most that I can add to any one stat? So in the end I will be able to add 63 extra stat points to 2 stats? Say I kill 255 catterpies and gain 63 points into HP, and I kill 255 gastlys and gain 63 points into Special Attack? Now are my EVs maxed out?

I read the EV guide on seribii.net and it was so confusing to me I don't understand how EV points work. Please tell me EXACTLY how many extra stat points I can add into one stat.

"For every 4 EVs in one stat my Pokemon will get 1 extra stat next level." Although this is true, IV's and other stuff comes into play. The highest I've ever went was 44.

Everything else you got is right, however special attributes such as Nature, IVs and possibly attributes (like Clowns around = speed) come into play, and once again you never reach that 64 additional stat points, because even with 64 stat points, a pokemon could be overpowered. At first I thought the highest was 32, but it was proven wrong when my Camerupt got +44.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:10 am

Anonymous
TheBlueYoshi wrote:
eric92 wrote: I am currently playing Pokemon Fire Red. I want to EV train my Pokemon but I don't completely understand EVs. I was reading about EVs on Seribii.net but it was confusing to me. Please correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand a Pokemon can have 510 EVs total. For every 4 EVs in one stat my Pokemon will get 1 extra stat next level. 510 divided by 4 = 127.5 So this means my Pokemon can gain 127 extra stat points total? correct? But so people cannot become overpowered they make a limit? 127 cannot go into one stat? Am I correct? So 63.75 is the most that I can add to any one stat? So in the end I will be able to add 63 extra stat points to 2 stats? Say I kill 255 catterpies and gain 63 points into HP, and I kill 255 gastlys and gain 63 points into Special Attack? Now are my EVs maxed out?

"For every 4 EVs in one stat my Pokemon will get 1 extra stat next level." Although this is true, IV's and other stuff comes into play. The highest I've ever went was 44.

Everything else you got is right, however special attributes such as Nature, IVs and possibly attributes (like Clowns around = speed) come into play, and once again you never reach that 64 additional stat points, because even with 64 stat points, a pokemon could be overpowered. At first I thought the highest was 32, but it was proven wrong when my Camerupt got +44.

Yeah as you are EV training, make sure at first that you have the correct nature and characteristic.

DialaceStarvy

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:24 am

DialaceStarvy
Yoshi Egg
Yoshi Egg
With EVs alone, you can add exactly 63 stat points. However, natures affect EVs in a very direct way. For example, 252 EVs would usually give you 63 extra stat points to a stat. However, with a benefiting nature, you can get an extra 6 stat points with 252 EVs, bringing you up to a total of 69 stat points gained. Similarly, a hindering nature will change the total amount of stat points gained from 252 EVs to 57.

This is a result of magic EVs numbers. When using a benefiting nature, having a magic EV number means that you are actually 2 stat points ahead of the previous EV number (number divisible by 4). When using a hindering nature, having a magic EV number means that if you move to the next EV number, you will gain no stat points at all.

Magic EV numbers are as follows:

Magic EV numbers are calculated using the formula:

X * 40 - 24 = N

X is a number between and including 1 and 6. N is the magic EV number that will result.

I went into more detail than you currently need to know, but hopefully you will find the time to come back here if you ever need this information.

Skochko

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:40 am

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
Wow Starvy, good job lol. Anyways Eric, do not EV train every single stat. Pokemon have their strenghts and weaknesses. You should either play to their strenghts or cover their weaknesses (For example Infernape should have it's Speed and offensive stats boosted, because it is a good attacker, while Bronzong should have it's HP and defensive stats boosted, since you are most likely going to use it as support or a tank.). Boosting certain stats that Pokemon make no use of is a complete waste. For example, Suicune shouldn't have it's Attack boosted, since you are going to use it defensively, with special attacks.

roshipower

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:39 pm

roshipower
Zekrom & Reshiram
Zekrom & Reshiram
lol,to this day,i still have no idea what EVs are

https://www.youtube.com/roshipower
Marioking

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:17 pm

Kid Roy
Kid Roy
>> I am currently playing Pokemon Red.

Weren't* EV's introduced in Gen 3?

Last edited by Marioking on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wasn't - Weren't*)

DialaceStarvy

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 am

DialaceStarvy
Yoshi Egg
Yoshi Egg
EVs were introduced in Gen II.

Skochko

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:09 am

Skochko
Administrator
Administrator
Skinner, he said FIRE Red, which is Gen 3... Noob.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Anonymous
I also thought he has said Pokemon Red, but I read it over.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum